Buying Best Lenses for Newborn Photography


For example, I know some fab photographers who use a 35mm prime to great effect in their newborn work.  For me personally, that doesn’t work.  With wider lenses you have to be careful with your distance and perspective, as a wider lens will make close subjects look a lot larger than ones further away.  If you get ‘lost’ in your work and aren’t concentrating, you could well end up with images of big nosed babies with tiny eyes!

The 85mm prime is a fantastic lens and one I use regularly for head shots, but for me its not wide enough to use throughout a newborn session.  I don’t like switching lenses if I can get away with it, so the 85 whilst fine for some shots, doesn’t give me enough scope.  Likewise, whilst I do use the wonderful 70 – 200 2.8 for portraits where I’ve wanted beautiful bokeh, I personally find it far too cumbersome to wield around in a newborn session as my studio space isn’t huge.

When I first started, I used my trusty Nikkor 50mm 1.8 (“not the 1.4?” I hear Nikon purists gasp!)  Nope, the 1.8. Cheap as chips, sharp as a pin and in my opinion, great for newborns.  When the new 50mm Nikkor came out I upgraded and continued with that.

Read more from Trampolinepaul
Contact me at About.me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Trampoline for Kids and Baby

Two Benefits when Using Trampoline for Kids

How to Find the Best Trampoline for Kids and Baby