How to Choose Best Lens for Newborn Photography




I have always liked prime lenses, but found zoom lenses to be far more practical — so that’s what I used. However, after having a kid I learned of two huge advantages prime lenses have: there is no zoom ring to fiddle with, and they are lighter (perhaps only slightly, depending upon your lens selections). A prime lens most likely will have a faster aperture which is invaluable to help get the shot when you can’t mess around with flash because of the fast-moving kid, too.

Both reasons are related, of course. Being lighter, it’s easier to hold the camera one-handed for extended periods of time. This is important when I’m holding the kid with one arm, and only have one free to shoot. Shooting at the kid’s eye level is important to making an engaging photo, which means getting on the floor/ground. Having one hand to help move and balance on the floor while still being able to shoot makes it possible to get shots much easier. And of course, without a zoom ring, I’m always at the expected focal length so it’s easy to recognize how to move to frame a shot.

I’m guessing you already have a lens (the kit zoom?) and have used it some. Before buying a prime, I would try to determine how you have used the lens you have to decide what focal length(s) of primes to use. The way I do this is with Lightroom, and review metadata to see what focal lengths are most-used. (Other programs likely offer such functionality.) Alternatively, try setting the lens at a specific focal length and shooting the kids for a while to see how you like it. I have found a two-lens prime kit to be hugely versatile: something on the wide end and something mildly-telephoto.

Read more from Trampolinepaul
Contact me at About.me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Trampoline for Kids and Baby

Two Benefits when Using Trampoline for Kids

Nikon Z 6